Staying warm with lower costs in the Yorkshire Dales
A customer called us on recommendation from her brother who we had worked alongside at UCLAN Preston Campus. We surveyed their property in relation to their heating system. The property, which they had just bought, was located right in the middle of the Yorkshire dales.
The brief was that they wanted to reduce the cost of the energy in order to help with their finances into their retirement.
The issues they face were; the property was located in a national Park, they were on oil and they needed to relocate the existing internal oil storage tank which was located in the garage. This was further exacerbated by the fact that the distance to site was over 1hr and access to local suppliers 40 minutes’ drive away.
To find out more we arranged a site visit to allow us to meet with the customer and listen to their needs and future requirements to allow us to draw up a design brief.
We carried a full survey of property and exiting services to see what we had to work with, and the level of works required to meet the initial design brief. We then had a second meeting with customer to go over our proposals and cost, so all parties understood the works agreed, their benefit and costs, with any amendments made at this point prior to commencement of any works.
The final solution involved upgrading the heating system, relocating the oil tank and the addition of renewable technologies in order to reduce on going costs.
In detail, the project included:
– Supply and installation of a high efficiency Low NOX condensing oil boiler
– Removal of gravity fed hot water system and cold-water storage tanks in loft, along with three separate booster pump’s that supplied boosted hot water to the three separate bathrooms.
– Relocate hot water storage to Garage creating a localised plant room and to free up space internally, installing new 300Ltr Unvented hot water cylinder.
– Supply and installation of a 4Kw Solar PV array supplemented with a 10.9Kw LG Chem home storage system
– Supply and installation of a 3-panel solar thermal system
– Construction of new Oil tank base to rear of garage to accept new 2500ltr double bunded oil tank.
– Installation of new oil supply pipe work, from new tank position to boiler in garage
– Chemical flush of heating system to remove built up system debris and sludge
– Renewal of all radiators throughout the property, all fitted with Drayton TRV4 thermostatic radiator valves.
– Design and installation of an independent heating circuit for the towel rails in the three bathrooms.
– Design and installation of a bespoke Smart home heating control system
There were a number of benefits including more control, compliance with the latest regulations and reduced ongoing costs.
– More control of the heating system with dual zones installed, with house being split ground floor and first floor, lending to lower heating cost and better comfort levels.
– Oil storage system is now installed in line with OFTEC regulations, with oil tank being relocated to outside
– Low home heating and lighting costs are now being delivered at estimated 30-40% below that of another property of a similar size and type in this area.